The Chapel of Saint Roch was built following a flu pandemic in the year 1580, as seen in an inscription carved on the wall, indicating that it was built following a plague. The outbreak decimated a considerable part of Vila do Conde’s population, hence the invocation of Saint Roch (of Montpellier), a healer of pests.
The interior is rich because of the remaining tin-glazed tiles on the walls, from the 18th century, and by the woodcarving of the main chapel. One can also see the base of the old pulpit of the Matrice Church, dating from the beginning of the 16th century and built by Biscayan João de Castilho.
Galeria de imagens:
Endereço: Largo de São Roque – Vila do Conde